Friday, February 20, 2009

Blackberry and me

Well it's like this...my phone started doing things on its own. It would ring differently than I had it set for, it would notify me that I had missed a call the day before, etc. Considering I don't have a land line, this was totally unacceptable. So I went to get a new phone and as it turned out the cheapest thing in the Alltel store was a Blackberry ($19.99). So okay, what's the big deal...I can just use the phone and forget the rest if I'm confused about the whole thing. Right? Then the salesman asked me if I use the internet, I affirmed and he asked me if I wanted him to set that up for me. Wow I thought, I can keep track of emails when I'm away from home. Yep, I had him set it up. He asked me if I wanted the contraption to notify me when a new email came in and I said sure. After last night I changed my mind on that one. In 1 hour it woke me up three times so I had to figure out how to get it to stop (yes, I know I should have stuck with my original plan to just use it as a phone). I do like the capability but it just doesn't need to notify me all night.
However there are a number of things on it that tweek my curiosity. Thankfully, I read Danny's blog where he was talking Facebook. Thank you, Danny! I'm leaving that icon alone along with GPS Navigator, Pocket Express, Google talk, and a few others.
There's nothing like being an elder person afraid of her own phone! I'm sharing this so you all can get a glimpse of how my life throws me lemons at times. lol

6 comments:

  1. You are to cute! I love you so much and I am glad that you got a new phone!!!!! If you have any questions Jimmy can probably help you out. He is the service tech for US Cellular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am actually very impressed at your willingness to try new things. I have not moved onto a blackberry or I-phone yet, but I know the time is coming.

    Reluctance of "elder people" to try new things reminds me of my favorite funny story by Jay Leno I heard years ago. He had bought his parents their first remote control TV. A few months later he was at their house, and noticed his parents were getting up and down to change the channel. He asked where the remote control was, and his Dad said "It is in the drawer....we don't use it". Jay asked why not, and his died replied "We are afraid if we point and miss the TV we will set something on fire".

    So you get my respect for trying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sis, you gave me a great laugh! I would be the same though, I don't even know how to do anything than make and receive calls, and check missed calls and messages on my simple phone. Hey--you ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all, I thought it would bring a chuckle. One of my problems (?) is I am facinated with electronic devices. I can get myself into quite a mess trying to figure them out. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOl, that's funny. If you ever would like some help with your blackberry email me. They can be quite confusing when you first lay your hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriously, both my teenagers have far more complex phones than i do. i just learned how to text a few months ago. and if i need anything on my phone or computer fixed, i find amanda or taylor. so i'm right there with you, sista!!

    ReplyDelete